Thursday, November 12, 2009

Weight Loss: Sixty-Six Pounds in Six Months of My Weight Loss Program.

Well today is the six month anniversary of my weight loss plan. Sixty-six pounds in six months, not to bad. Though the last eight pounds have been the slowest. To recap on May 12th I began my calorie reduction using my seven rules and began walking in the local mall. I am going in this post talk about how I have changed with the weight loss. I plan to take off twenty-four more pounds for a total of 90 pounds, which will bring me down to a BMI of 24.5.

The obvious one is how I look. It is interesting that it wasn't until the last 10 pounds that people really started to notice and it is rare these last four weeks for someone who knows me not to comment on it. I lost seven inches in my waist size from 46 down to 39 (I'm on my third belt). Two to two and a half inches off my collar. I fit into large shirt instead of double extra large. Most people tell me I look ten years younger, I feel twenty years younger(more on that later). I lost almost all my fat from everyplace except my chest and abdomen. I hope when I reach my goal I will get rid of all my excess stomach. I'm waiting till I get within ten pounds of my goal to go out and buy a new wardrobe, so It will work out that I can take advantage of all the after holiday sales.

Physiologically I am a knew man and in the best shape I have been in ever. To recap I started walking and could only go 20-30 minutes at first. Several weeks into it I could do a full hour and covered about 2 to 2.5 miles. By six weeks I was doing 3 miles in one hour. At twelve weeks I was doing the 3 miles in 40-45 minutes. I added stair climbing (10 double flights up and down, as I passed the stairs with 38 steps) at the twelve week point. At eighteen weeks I began jogging up and down the stairs. Currently I am walking 3.5 miles and jogging up and down twenty flight of stairs in 58-63 minutes.

When I started my: resting pulse rate was 90-92; resting blood pressure was 128/88; my pulse hit 140 with only 20 minutes of walking at 2 .5 mile per hour; it took me twenty minutes for my pulse rate to return to my baseline. I began sweating within five minutes and would sweat for 10-15 minutes at the end of my workout; I could not talk on the phone until 5 minutes after I finished (I would sound out of breath and like I was having heavy sex). Now my values are fantastically better, my: resting pulse rate is 58-62; resting blood pressure is 108/68: pulse during exercise doesn't go over 118 (I recently ran up six flights of stairs and my pulse was only 118 and recovered in less then two minutes); My pulse rate always recovers within a couple minutes; I can talk on the phone during my exercise, including while jogging up stairs and my voice sounds normal.

Sleep is totally different for both Margie and I. Before the weight loss I was snoring all night long. Margie said I would begin snoring before I was completely asleep. We were both sleeping poorly and not feeling rested. Now I sleep like a log and get a full 7.5 to 8.0 hours and Margie says I hardly ever snore anymore, and she is sleeping better. It is amazing how much more rested I feel and how much more energy( more about that below) I have compared to before I began.

People say they don't want to exercise because they do not have enough time. Well I have not missed a single day since May 12th doing my exercise. The really important thing is that I have become much more productive, despite taking 90 minutes out of everyday. I mentally am much more focused. I work much more effectively and productively. The last three to four months have been amazing in how much I have gotten done and the projects I am working on.

Emotionally I have been much calmer and have notices I am giving more time to my patients. I have been in a much better mood. It is hard to describe, but I imagine it is what they call runners high (yet I not doing any running). I can only tell you it has totally changed my emotional demeanor.

I am eating between a 1200-1400 calorie diet. Yet since the second week I have never felt hungry. I am not sure why. Some theories include : fats and sugars increase your appetite and I am eating much less fat and sugars; the exercise moderates the hormones making you hungry; the hungry fat cell theory; I eat 6-10 pounds of fruits and vegies each day and just that mass of bulk fills me up. I am not sure the reason and there is scientific evidence for each of these theories. I can only tell you that I am never hungry while eating a 1200 calorie diet.

I hope this gives you inspiration to begin your journey to a healthier, happier, more rested, more energetic you.

No comments:

Post a Comment